Switching Major: CS to what?

0 Cameron Reuss · September 11, 2014
Hey gals,

As I mentioned in my previous thread on Introduction section about dropping out of school, switching major, etc. However, yesterday I finally realized that I lost interest in studying computer science. I'm not really interested in learning how to work with machines, doing codes to develop structuring data, software design, etc. I rather to stick with programming plain and simple. So, my school offers Information Technology as minor and I'm considering to study IT as my minor, but what's a good major that complements IT? I have been studying Ruby off codeacademy.com and I'm loving it a lot. Hope to hear what advice you have to offer. I'm meeting with my college adviser tomorrow, FYI.

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Gary Murphy · September 12, 2014
I agree with Sheena as far as the Business major goes.  If you don't really feel CS is where you want to be, but still want to work in the technology sector, then business is where it's at.
Unless you are more interested in doing something like journalism, so you can get employment doing tech reviews, etc.
It might be a good idea to go see a guidance councilor, your university should have a student guild or something where you can talk to someone.  They should be able to help you identify your interests and advise you from there.
0 Godspower Onedo · September 12, 2014
Thats nice.
0 Sheena Torno · September 12, 2014
IT is still broad so if you're gonna take it as a minor then probably you would just study the very general concepts of it, software design is still included in it as well as the whole software development process. And yeah if you're considering IT as minor then I'd say it's still Computer Science that you should be majoring in. Also, IT and Business are aligned to each other too.

General Chat

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Bucky Roberts Administrator