Hello Everyone and a Question to ask

0 Cameron Reuss · September 8, 2014
Hey people! I came across NewBoston website few months ago when I was browsing different forum and I liked it a lot. However, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Cameron, but everyone calls me Cam. I'm currently studying Computer Science at University of IL at Chicago and I'm beginning the 2nd year as right now. I have to admit I'm not very talented at programming and I'm pretty behind. I tried to learn very hard, but it seems learning information at school seems to be not the right fit for me? My learning style is "learning stuff off the street". I strongly believe I would improve a lot if I have a good mentor or whatever. So the one million dollar questions is if I want to drop out of school, how do i find a good programming job without CS degree? I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 George Williams · September 9, 2014
I would suggest Ruby as a starting language simply because it is as easy to learn as pascal while having mostly the same syntax as python, so whenever your ready, learning python will be like reviewing your old Ruby work. Ruby is also flexible and powerful, For Example :

https://buckysroom.org/forum/topic.php?id=1715

Something like that is just scratching the surface of what Ruby can do so like I said, Learn Ruby.

Regarding Gary Murphy, Ruby programmers do get paid an average of $94000 dollars and I believe the main reason for that is because the security business and marketing companies see the power of Ruby, that or they just hating on Python :D
0 Gary Murphy · September 9, 2014
I don't know much about Ruby, but I hear the programmers earn slightly more than most others for some reason so it's probably not a bad choice.
I'm quite new to programming myself so I'm not sure what to suggest in the way of books, but take a look at this thread where some people are listing their recommendations.
I don't think anyone has put anything for Ruby just yet though.
https://buckysroom.org/forum/topic.php?id=1653
I'd recommend Bucky's videos of course, make sure you watch them in 1080p so they're as clear as possible.  I think he has some of the best tutorials around for beginners.
Other places that do video tutorials I would suggest are  https://www.udemy.com  Some of their courses are free, some are not, but worth checking out.
Also,  https://www.edx.org  is a great place to go.  A lot, if not all, of their courses can be taken for free as an audit.
Maybe you could start a thread in the Ruby part of the forum asking for book recommendations, if there isn't one there already.
Good luck.
0 Cameron Reuss · September 8, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to answer my question. First of overall, I will consider about switching major if necessary because my school offers IT as a minor, but what about the Software Development Associates Degree from my local community college? Is this degree reliable? On my programming skill, I understand and can read computing languages, mostly C/C++ (my classes are doing C this semester), in general, such as array, loops, functions, sorts, etc. it’s just I have difficult time writing them out. Also, last night I tried to watch one of Bucky’s tutorial videos from like last August and I cannot understand it because it looks like he didn’t show close enough on CodeBlocks to see the codes. I’m Deaf, which might be difficult for me to learn off his videos. Last summer, I watched good number of his videos on C++ because videos were shown close enough to read the codes.

Gary, I appreciated your comment a lot. When you asked me about a particular language I had in my mind, I’m very open to any kind of language, really. But, there is this language that caught my attention is Ruby. I heard this is one of the easiest languages out there to learn and it would be a good transition to other languages if you are comfortable with Ruby. 

On textbooks, do you have any recommended textbooks I can look at? I want reliable ones with easy English to read. 
+1 Gary Murphy · September 8, 2014
Hello and Welcome!
I agree with what Adam said: Portfolio, portfolio, portfolio.  You need to show people what you can do and prove you're up to snuff.  That means practice, practice, practice.
Write programs.  Small ones at first and build from there as your knowledge grows.  I don't know what language you have in mind, but maybe something like C++ is a little too low level for someone to begin on, so I'd suggest something like Python.  It really depends what you want to achieve with your programming.  For example, Swift is supposed to be an excellent language if you want to make iPhone apps.  It's new, so there will be relatively few skilled programmers in it at the moment - that means less competition!
But as George said, I would stick out my degree if I were you.  If Computer Science is too "full on", maybe transfer to something a little easier like Information Systems or something else IT related.  It will definitely serve you better in the future than not doing it at all.
Out of curiosity, is there a particular language you have in mind?
+2 George Williams · September 8, 2014
Hello there!

At first your saying you would like a mentor which I would volunteer all of which I know but then your asking about dropping put of school and finding a good programming job?

You said your not very good at programming and that your just starting your second year so in all honesty I would say your chances aren't very high. I would.continue with your Computer Science until at minimum the end of third year.

To address the problem of you not being good at programming, there is a very simple solution: Use the videos that Bucky has made, read e-books,make your own code, ask questions then understand the answer to your question; Trust me when I say that with this method, you won't ever have to say your not really good at programming.
+2 Adam Karrer · September 8, 2014
Hello, and welcome!

I want to drop out of school, how do i find a good programming job without CS degree?

An amazing portfolio, really. You'd better have something (or rather multiple somethings) you coded that shows you know what you're doing. From what I've seen, most places that are looking for programmers are looking for "programmers". Not some guy that says "Hey I went here and graduated and I know [insert language here]". (although most places DO list at least a Bachelor's of Science as a minimum requirement) They want problem solvers. Someone who can learn any language that they need to, and apply that knowledge to solve an issue, whatever it might be.

After all, that's all we are as programmers: problem solvers. :D

Introductions

106,954 followers
About

Just joined the website? Feel free to introduce yourself here. Oh, by the way, welcome to BuckysRoom!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator