Favorite Programming Books?

+1 Adam Karrer · September 6, 2014
What's everyone's favorite programming/CS books? 

So far I've really enjoyed all of the books by Tony Gaddis. "Starting Out with Java: Early Objects" was used in my Java course in college and I liked the way it was laid out: How simple he made everything, but how it had a smooth transition into the more complicated subjects. I ended up grabbing his C++ book as well as his Python one.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Gary Murphy · September 6, 2014
I'm reading a book called "Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python" at the moment.  It's part of an online course I'm doing,
http://mitpress.mit.edu/covers/9780262525008.jpg
0 Abdullah Nauman · September 6, 2014
Sams Teach Yourself Javascript in 24 hours. The only good Javascript book in the world! Loved it! 
0 Abdullah Nauman · September 6, 2014
Sams Teach Yourself Javascript in 24 hours. The only good Javascript book in the world! Loved it! 
+2 Kaveh Greenwood · September 6, 2014
I wish I had a favorite programming book. I hardly use books. Internet is my resource because I can't afford books.
+1 eltrasimaco el trasimaco · September 7, 2014
Hey man but u can d/l them can't you? 
My best books are: the K&R programming in C language as well as Algorithms+Data structures=programs, from Nicklaus Wirth
+1 Kaveh Greenwood · September 7, 2014
Oh yeah can definitely download them. TY internet pirates.
+1 Adam Karrer · September 8, 2014
Some good recommendations here. To go along with it, what's everyones favorite languages and why? What DON'T you like about them?

My favorites so far are Java and Python. I dabbled with BASIC, C, and C++ a bit when I was younger but I couldn't really understand how to program with them. I knew the syntax, but not what to do with it.

Java was the first language I really delved in to. It was my first college course, and I read straight through the book (2 semesters worth) in about a week and a half. I really enjoy coding in it. It's just pure fun. It really helped me understand OOP, why it's useful, and how to use it. I like how easy it is to create GUIs as well. However, it seemed like it was lacking in a few things without importing third party libraries or really complicated blocks of code such as connecting to the internet and databases.

This is where Python really shines to me so far. Connecting to the web is like a walk in the park compared to Java. If I DO want to download some third party stuff, it's even easier. File I/O seems much easier so far as well. I'm also really liking the syntax of the language; it's clean, easy to read, and takes a lot less typing to do what you want to do. I haven't jumped in to any GUI programming yet, so I can't really comment on that. However, jumping from Python back to Java was like driving around in a base Honda Accord: it's a nice car. Good on gas. It works well and is comfortable. Then I jumped into my Java Jeep Wrangler with no heat, no interior, noisy, and rough... but damn do I love that thing. Let's go get it stuck in the mud.
+1 Jeremy Hewitt · September 8, 2014
I've picked up these books, they seem in depth without being confusing or overwhelming

C++ Programming: Design Including Data Structure 6th (D.S. Malik 2013)
C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design 6th (D.S. Malik 2013)
&
C++ Primer Plus 6th (Stephen Prata 2012)

But I'm looking for a complete list of all ANSI/ISO list of commands and the corroborating short commands, no fluff about "history" of this and that ect. just a list and resulting function !!!

Any suggestions anyone, I've tried Google with several variations on the subject, but no luck, most of the reference manuals are not even close.
0 Adam Karrer · September 8, 2014
Ahh, I had forgotten about C++ Primer Plus! Excellent book. I have one of the older editions lying around somewhere. 

Another excellent book, although outdated, is Game Design: Secrets of the Sages for anyone interested in video game or simulations development. I believe the most recent issue came out in 2000. It covers everything from design docs to coding and 3D design. They have interviews with some of the top names in the industry as well. I wish they'd do an updated version. 

General Chat

106,972 followers
About

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator