C++ GUI

+1 Jake Scaife · August 30, 2014
Hi all,

I'm just trying to get an idea of the best tool to use for experimenting with GUI in C++.

I have (what I would like to consider) quite a lot of experience using dev c++ on back end console applications and want to take that step into creating GUIs after creating so many fun things with python.

I tried starting out with qt and made a small calculator program (which although simple was insanely good fun)
however I quickly found that sharing the program with my friends from work quickly became difficult due to what I believe to be licence problems when it comes to compiling a finished version of the program.

The main problem was that they didn’t have qt and thus couldn’t run the program. 

I'm wondering if there is a way to create a .exe or any other executable file which uses the OS dependences rather than using qt as a dependency - although I guess I'm going to have to include dependencies within a file with the .exe(?)

On the other hand, is there an alternative tool which is similar to qt in allowing access to GUI libraries to play around with, but has the ability to compile a file which can be sent to people etc. without what I think are licence issues - or maybe I’m missing something. The ability to compile for different OS would be fantastic too.

Any support or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

:ermm::dizzy:

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Jake Scaife · August 31, 2014
Thank you for your help - managed to figure out the static executable after reading some documentation in the qt forums.

Many thumbs up! :)
+1 Jake Scaife · August 30, 2014
Thank you, this helped a bunch.

I'm guessing the libraries which I need to include as QT dependencies are just the ones which I have actively used in the program? Or do I need to include a specific set of them in order for them to run without having QT installed?

Is there any way in which I can locate these dependencies and is there a specific location which I need to put them (for example they must be placed in the root of the file) or can they be placed anywhere within the directory/subdirectories which my program is located in? 

thanks for your help :)

C++

106,974 followers
About

Used in many types of software including music players, video games, and many large scale applications.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator