Sad Lobster - My first template

+6 Kaveh Greenwood · August 25, 2014
My freebie responsive template is about complete. I am taking suggestions before zipping it up and calling it complete.

Live demo can be viewed here:

Any suggestions before I zip it up and get it live for all to download and use?

Post a Reply

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Kaveh Greenwood · August 29, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely keep that in mind. I put a map with a generic location for the template, but a link for directions for a physical address would be helpful to the viewer.
+1 Ray LeDuc · August 29, 2014
Looks good to me, I did have a thought suggestion maybe adding a get directions link/box for the map as if is used for a place with a brick and mortar location.
+1 Kaveh Greenwood · August 26, 2014
Thanks Yannis!

Buddy, I see what you're saying. I didn't think to try a solid color or textured background outside the page itself for this one. For this one, I'll leave it as is, but the next one, you'll see them in there. 

How big is your screen? 

Just to throw this out there for anyone, when performing device/screen testing, I use either or
0 Buddy Blackford · August 26, 2014
also im not sayin to use solid black. thats just an example of what i was talking about and black was the color already selected in photoshop.  
+1 Buddy Blackford · August 26, 2014
heres what I meant.  this is up to you.  whatever you think looks better.

before on my screen:

after (static bg):

+1 Yannis Sp · August 26, 2014
Kaveh i like the minimalistic design on your site a lot.Keep it up the good work :)
I went ahead and made the changes. I was able to get the button in the Landing section to smoothly scroll to the intended area.

The text-shadow really makes the headings in the Landing section stand out as well.

Thanks again!

I'm just trying to understand what Buddy means by a BG and wide empty spaces.
I didn't use a background for the sections though to keep a flat look. What do you mean the content is not centered though?
+2 Kaveh Greenwood · August 26, 2014
Buddy & Daniel, THANK YOU for calling those out. This is what I exactly what and I appreciated it.

Buddy, you are right, it is definitely rushed, no more than 5 hours.

I definitely appreciate it all. I'll go make some changes and respond soon. :)
+3 Buddy Blackford · August 26, 2014
A design suggestion would be to add a background and keep the main content centered in the middle.  
An example would be this website.  Look at the homepage and see how there is the black wooden background and then there is the main content in the middle.  For me there is a ton of extra blank space on each side that looks kinda weird.  Also, I would make the google maps thing at the bottom the same width as the contact section above it.  It stretches to the edges on my monitor.  Honestly,  I would just not include that because it doesn't go well with the scheme you are using but that is up to you.  Looks like you have an edge after the about me section that has a drop shadow but none of the rest of the edges do not.  Also one thing i noticed is that you have really cool transitions when you click on the menu bar but that transition does not carry over to the "Let's get Started" button.  It seems a bit rushed with minor attention to detail problems but overall there aren't any huge mistakes which is good.  What's cool is those skills bars, the gallery is nice, those transitions, and there is a matching color scheme.  

Source:  I have 6 years design experience and went to college for this stuff. 

HTML / CSS / Web Design

Discuss, share, ask, learn and teach HTML5 and CSS3.