Help me build a "Make Your Own Portfolio" Website

+8 Nikola Novakovic · August 15, 2014
Hey there! :) 

Ok so the initial post was change and the idea behind this. I talked to @Eugene and he suggested somthing that I think it has great potential. It will be a website where people can make their own portfolio. So basically Sam that loves ham, and is a designer , goes to our website, makes a profile, clicks a few buttons, and there he has an awesome portfolio which he can share to everyone. Isn't that awesome ? 

This is awesome because I would like to get out of my comfort zone, I try to do that as much as possible, and learn something that I am not so good at.For example to build a back-end in Ruby On Rails. I would LOVE to see that and how it is glued into a nice looking website. Pure basics of Ruby are familiar and oop Ruby, but to have someone actually go and do the entire websites back-end in Ruby , with me learning and contributing to that code, would be pretty cool.It does not have to be Ruby, it can be ASP.NET or whatever :) Nobody should be afraid of not knowing something :)

Any thoughts ? Someone wants to join ?;)

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 3
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Nikola Novakovic · August 16, 2014
I use asana on some projects that I work on. It's good, but I honestly think forum is a lot better. Simply because we can have separate topics, discuss stuff etc. With asana, you can pretty much only do task menagment. 

The idea to split up into teams is what I wanted to suggest. We will work much better in smaller groups then a huge crowd. 
Also we need to think of , before we do anything, what we need before we start brainstormin, like resources and stuff , here is mine:

• Forum ( as Eugene suggested we can host it on his server )

• Source Control Mengament - I suggest BitBucket private repo or GitHub private repo ( its paied, but if someone has it we can use it ). Maybe the project should not go open source right away before we actually make it, or at least go to beta phase. After that we can just put it on github or somewhere.

• IRC chat

Thats pretty much it.

Eugene, if everyone else agrees of course to have a forum over task menagment system, when could you make that ? :) 

Sorry for the typos I am typing super fast. 
+1 Bob Maylie · August 16, 2014
Would you all like to meet tonight in irc to discuss project teams? 
+1 Nikola Novakovic · August 16, 2014
Yep. I think you did not understand it :/
+1 Bob Maylie · August 17, 2014
Eastern standard time
+1 Nikola Novakovic · August 17, 2014
Yes bitbucket is cheaper and has an option of a closed repo up to five people. Honestly I will donate money , since I guess there will be more people then five I think. 

We should all meet on IRC agreed. My timezone is CET ( Central European Time ). 
And guys please consider a private forum. I think its the best way to organize talks, files ( that will be somewhere like on dropbox or what ever cloud storing system, that is my suggestion ) changes and a lot of other stuff. Please let me know that you want this, if not we will think of another way. 

Also I noticed that a person here, not sure what is his name wants to join, asks to send them a pm. That is not that huge of a problem, but honestly if more guys wanted that it would be a pain in the neck. EVERYBODY are welcome to join as long as they are willing to learn , be polite, and contribute. 
+1 Yannis Sp · August 17, 2014
I am in Eastern European timezone.
@nikola would you like to choose a time and channel for the Irc?

I can throw in a couple bucks for web/repository hosting.
+1 Nikola Novakovic · August 17, 2014
Lets first decide if we are going to have a private forum on Eugene's website. I am strongly recommending that.

After we decide that, if we go for the forum, we should all register to that forum. Of course by all I mean everybody who wants to participate. And then we will decide a date and channel for IRC. 

Also Asana was mentioned here a few times, and I agree we should use it ( I know I also gave my two cents on asana already here, but I will repeat ) but only as a pure task menager nothing else. The forum should be for discussion ,improvments, bug reports etc. Everyone else agrees or ? :)

I want to get started with this. I have one huge project that is probably going to happen soon, and a couple of other websites I am working on, so the time will be limited. But I guess it will be limited for all of you too, which is totally fine. We will work on it as much as we can. 

While talking to Eugene the other day, in the kinda far future ( which should probably not be discussed here ) we should throw this project to kikcstarter for later resources in terms of storage and stuff that we need, but that is a far far future. Right now I think we should focus on:

• Getting on the forum

• Getting and talkin on irc 

• Deciding which techonologies are we going to use. ( My vote goes to ASP.NET, I know some guys here mentioned they are proficient in php but I would love to get out of my comfort zone , as should you, and we should get this rolling in .NET style. Belive me you will love it , if you love robust oop stuff , talking to my php fans ;) I suggested ruby in the start, but nobody suggested Ruby except me, so I vote for asp.net )

• Making small teams with specific tasks ( like designers, coders etc )

• Getting to Asana and actually have our project there also

If anyone has something to add please do so ( to the list ). Also please confirm if you think that it is a good idea to go to Euguene's website and have a forum hosted in there. 

Thanks a lot, I am pretty serious about this,hope you are too, and let us get this thing rolling ;) 
I agree in using angular for front end and Eugene's private forum. 

I don't have any experience with asp but would be eager to learn another back-end. So, I vote yes to asp.net as well. Although I may need a mentor along the way.

How fast can we put Eugene's forum into action? (if agreed upon)
Just another troll to ignore.

General Chat

107,272 followers
About

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator