To learn programming or NOT !? Need advice here!

+19 Elijah Gankz Pao · December 22, 2016
      Hi, guys!
      I'm a final year Electrical Engineering student who has a lot of interest in learning computer programming.

Since I'm not a Computer Science Engineering student, I usually ask myself, is it a good idea for me to go and pursue programming courses? Is it limited only for those who offer Computer Science Course?These questions usually demotivate me.

I'm confused right now, I would really appreciate if anyone kindly give some advice/guidance.

Thanks! And also  sorry for this post!  :):(

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+6 Gary Whitney · December 26, 2016
Elijah,
If you have a lot of interest in computer programing then don't let fear stop you. The biggest problem you should have is time.

The tutorials offered here are fun, no pressure tutorials. They are a good place to start.
Although you may not get timely answers to your questions since the site hasn't been updating properly. Notice the gap between 12/5 and 12/22.

Udemy offers some free courses and mostly inexpensive paid courses, with occasional sales.. The instructors monitor their courses for questions, and provide timely answers.
My advise is to pick beginner courses initially and stay away from "Developer and Bootcamp" courses until you have a foundation.Python has simple syntax and might be a good language to start with. Java is my preference but it can be confusing because it enforces Data Types.

I haven't tried any Udacity courses because they are to expensive for me.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles..."
+1 Cryce Truly · January 19, 2017
If its what you want boss then follow your heart
+1 Nicholas Eason · January 23, 2017
Well, when you look at programming jobs they usually want "Bachelors in Computer Science or related field". I'm not sure if Electrical Engineering counts as a related field, but with the shortage of programmers that there is, I'm sure they'll accept you if you know how to program. If you want to do programming, go for it, if not, you can still do it. As long as it counts towards your degree, there's really no reason to NOT do it.
+1 Jacob Selvestar · March 11, 2017
Hello Elijah,

I would like to inform you that programming languages are the best option to learn and make the career. You have selected a wrong career course, if you love programming then you should choose computer science instead of electrical engineering now just you need to try to learn and practice about programming languages basics like C,C++. After some time you can easily go with the advance level programming languages like JAVA, .NET, ASP, PHP etc. So, just focus on learning and you will get succeed once. If you want to know more about software development then click here..http://www.gatewaytechnolabs.com
0 Pintu Rath · April 23, 2017
Hello Elijah Gankz Pao;

If you consider my suggestion than you should take it. and learning was and will never limited to anybody. Don't get confused just do it.. it will help not now but some day...

thanks
0 Ni Yao · April 23, 2017
Hey man,

I'm a Computer Engineering Major and I actually have a good friend of mine from Electrical Engineering that switched to programming after college!

It's not like you'll completely abandon EE and become a Programmer with comparable levels of skill. It does take time to learn the basics from scratch and you will be behind many similar age colleagues. However if you do enjoy programming, take a step at a time, watch through these tutorials, focus on ONE major language and just start writing out code. Start small and build projects that can show yourself definitive proof that you are making traction as a programmer.

Fun Fact: My EE friend thats of the same age and graduation year is actually getting ahead of me in the programming space now haha. He really likes to code, while I'm actually not a fan of staring at code all day. Pretty sure I'll be moving away from programming in the future. But the moral of the story is that an EE major with limited to none programming skills can outpace a CS major that spent 4+ years in CS lectures and theory classes.

With enough time, the guy who likes what he does will always end up more skilled than the guy who does it because he either needs the money or just didn't feel confident in leaving a profession where he has experience.
0 Steven Wagner · April 23, 2017
Well, if you have interest in doing it then there's no reason you shouldn't. It's a lot of fun if you have the mind for it.
0 Lionel Lye · April 23, 2017
Hi Elijah, it is definitely a good choice to pursue a programming course. It helps you a lot in terms of logic thinking and idea generating skill. You can even learn embedded system for electronics engineering, which is quite a close friend to electrical engineering in my opinion.

You will also have something to kill time with if you ever feel too bored.

Cheers.
0 Madhav Bhattarai · April 23, 2017
Hi Elijah Gankz Pao, you don't need to worry about your background in order to learn programming. Most of the learners in this field are self-taught. I also learned programming this way. Most of the educational institution lacks the industrial experience to teach programming. You just need to invest some time. That's it. If you are interested in learning java and android app development, feel free to follow my tutorial. This tutorial is specially designed for beginners. 

http://learnzone.info/best-way-learn-android-app-development/

How to learn android app development
0 Crish Watson · April 23, 2017
It is not limited to people who opt computer courses. Basically, if a person is inclined towards programming then he should learn it by all means. Don't suppress your feelings only because you are Electrical Engineering student. Learn it primarily as your passion.

Java / Android Development

129,818 followers
About

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator