a good computer for programing

+2 ariel bitan · May 2, 2016
hi there!
if you can suggest me a good programing computer to buy I would be very thankful.
give me more options,but how is the Lenovo Ideapad Y700 15 80NV00ELIV?

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 ariel bitan · May 2, 2016
now that I think about it,I don't really think I need this kind of strong computer,because it is a gaming computer not a programing computer,so I don't really need this expansive computer,so ant other suggetions?
and I want the computer to run on windows...
+3 Nicholas Eason · May 2, 2016
I'm currently running a Dell PC that I threw a CPU in (i5 3470). You don't need a lot, something I recommend though, is a dual monitor setup, and large monitors (1600x900 or larger). The more screen-space you have, the less time you spend switching between windows, thus optimizing your time. It's also nice for learning because you have your IDE up on one monitor and your tutorial up on another.
+1 Nicholas Eason · May 3, 2016
The amount of recommended ram will generally end up being OS-dependent, or task dependent. I have Windows 7, so my OS is only using 1 out of 4 gigs of my ram, I have 3 to do the rest (idle processes take up another ~7-8%) so everything I have runs fine (IntelliJ, Android Studio, and Eclipse). I can see the need for a third screen when you do web design, you'd have the browser, an IDE, and a tutorial up. With Windows 8 or higher (8.1, 10), I recommend 8 gigs of ram though. Windows 8 and on will consistently consume 2 gigs of your ram, so with 4 you only have half of it free, and the more the merrier. 4 gigs is starting to not be the standard anymore anyways, so better to plan ahead.
+1 ariel bitan · May 6, 2016
What do you mean Dual monitor setup and larger monitors?what is it?
+1 ariel bitan · May 9, 2016
thanks!
+1 Branislav Lazic · May 9, 2016
That's totally unnecessary overkill. You could save significant amount of money if you exclude that graphics card. Why would you even need graphics card unless you are developing AAA titles? 16 GB RAM is also an overkill. I use 12 GB and usage goes up to 10 GB ONLY if I turn on Oracle VBox. SSD is "must have". You could start from 256 GB. That's a gaming laptop, not a laptop for a programmer. I would rather go for Lenovo X1 Carbon or a solid MacBook.
+1 Chris Albertson · July 11, 2016
First you need to decide what kind of programs you will write.   Will you be making video games for Windows or programming the controller of an autonomous robot or maybe a home security system.   It really depends on the kinds of thinks you are going to make.  Professionally I've worked on aerospace and defense project like radar, ground to air missiles, communications systems and the like.  As a hobby it's "robots".    Others are more into games or web based apps.   

As a general rule you want to try to develop our code on a computer that is like the target platform.  Certainly if you are writing games for Windows, get a Windows PC.  But some times you can't do this.  For example I'm writing code right now that controls a motor that runs inside an 8-bit microprocessor.  The entire computer is about 3/16 inch square.  I edit and compile on my iMac then push to binary code into the uP.   

For general programming is is hard to beat Linux and the tools that come with it. (unless of course you are able to program on the target platform)  I use the 27" iMac and if I need Linix or Windows, or BSD I run that inside a virtual machine.    I would ONLY use a Windows PC for programing if that was my target platform.

For hardware.  You may need a notebook type computer so you can work at different locations but be sure and also buy a large monitor.  I like being able to see multiple pages of code and read on-line documentation all at the same time.   maybe even two monitors.  You can not have enough screen space.

You don't need any kind of fancy graphics cards or even a high-end CPU.   Any basic quad core 8GB RAM machine is fast enough.    All you are doing is typing and editing text.   Spend the budget on (1) the screen and (3) A very redundant backup system.  Several hard drives and some on-line places too.

That said you will likely need to use the same computer for other things, So rather then a Linux PC I have some Macs so I can also run Final Cut Pro, Light Room and my preferred word processor, Pages.   Mac OS is UNIX based so must UNIX functions are available.  It is a lot like Linux under the hood and most things that work on Linux will work on the Mac too.
+1 Jyotsna Sharma · July 15, 2016
I'm going to buy a new Desktop PC for my coding as a biginner.

GA-B150M-D3H LGA 1151 Intel DDR4 B150 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
i3-6100 3.7GHz 6th Gen LGA 1151 Processor
Crucial 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz PC4-17000 CT8G4DFD8213 1.2v Unbuffered NON-ECC High Performance Gaming Ram
PCI Express SSDs
Graphics Card
N750Ti TF 2GD5/OC
HDD WD 2TB

.....respect!!!
0 mark mohan · January 19, 2017
Its ok Lenovo Ideapad Y700 15 80NV00ELIV

Other Computer Related

126,622 followers
About

Anything else technology related including search engines, social networking, marketing, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator