someone explain this please

+1 Anthony St John · August 3, 2014
Hi i have a problem for an assignment im doing for procedural programming class but the problem i was given doesn't make sense to me, the problem is shown below: 

Triad Cleaning Services Limited (TCS) pays an annual bonus to its employees. The bonus is based on the number of years
the employee has been with the company. Employees working at the company for less than 5 years receive a bonus equal
to 3% percent of their annual salary; between 5 and 10 years receive a bonus equal to 4% of their annual salary; all
others receive a bonus equal to 5% of their annual salary.
Presently, TCS undertakes this annual endeavour by manually poring through Employee paper based files and
meticulously documenting each employee’s years of service before passing it to the accounts department. TCS’ employee
base has been expanding yearly and this manual process is fast becoming tedious. In light of the growing employee base,
the accounts department has requested a computerized system that would store all employee data and allow it to generate
the bonus calculations automatically.

The proposed solution must:
1. Store all employee data. 
Employee data would consist of Employee ID, Name, Date of Hire, Basic Monthly Salary
and Department. (NOTE: This can be a pre-initialized set of values in an array)

2. Print End of Year Payslip inclusive of Bonus Paid for each Employee. [See Sample Below.]
Name: Jack Sparrow
Department: Maintenance
Pay Period: December 2014
Basic Pay: $2,300.00
Annual Bonus: $ 828.00

3. Print reports as follows:
a. # of Employees in each bonus category (i.e. less than 5 years, between 5 and 10 years, over ten years’ service).
b. Total $ value paid in each bonus category
c. Total $ value paid in Annual Bonuses

#1 is no issue, #2 is kinda tricky cuz i'm having trouble wit the annual bonus part but #3 is the most problematic for me. I can make the arrays to store the information but am not sure as how to do what #3 is asking with with arrays. Does this question make sense to anyone or even seems solvable, side note im new to programming not very experienced. Any clarification will be greatly appreciated.

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Anthony St John · August 3, 2014
I started the class but i realised am i supposed to use an array to store the information still? Since it's for 6 employees, cuz i gotta store the name, id department etc for each diff employee.
0 Pere Garau Burguera · August 3, 2014
Yeah, a class that contains all info for the employees.
When you say employee class you mean like

public class employees {

empName;
empDepartment;
empID;
empBasicpay;

}
0 Pere Garau Burguera · August 3, 2014
I recommend you to create an Employee class with the attributes name, department, years... 

This is the first step you have to do. It will make a lot more sense
Now when i say i'm new to programming i literally mean new like 2 months in so what you're saying i'm kinda lost. here's the code i have so far it's kinda butchered:
http://i59.tinypic.com/w8s60y.jpg
+2 Pere Garau Burguera · August 3, 2014
It's not very difficult to make, but I think you should provide your code or what you have done so far and what errors or problems are you having.

To give you an idea, you need to loop through all employees, and each time, you have to increase the corresponding value to the results. I mean, if that employee is 4 years there, you have to increase a variable that will count how many 4-year employees there are, and the same with the others. 

Java / Android Development

107,166 followers
About

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator