automatic code tag suggestion

+4 Mathias Frits Rørvik · August 3, 2014
Hello people!

Currently there is a huge issue that bothers me, and probably a lot of others trying to help other people with their code. Some people just copy past their code straight into their post and not into the code boxes/tags. It is really annoying to read someone else non-formatted code.

So I've got an idea! How about some smart code detection script? If a post includes certain characters or words that are used in different programming languages. A large pop-up dialog would appear telling the user something along the lines of. "Hey hoss, looks like you're trying to paste code, please paste it into a code tags with proper formatting" and show a little animation that shows how to do it (where to click etc).

There should also be an option to turn it off for more experienced users. Any thoughts? 

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Jonah Morrison · August 3, 2014
Thats actually a really good idea! Another thing I noticed, im not sure if its just me or everyone, is I cant use the tab key inside the code tag. I just hit space 5 times? Any thoughts on this?
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · August 3, 2014
Yes, this should also definitely be implemented in the code tags. Like on codecademy.

Suggestions

106,948 followers
About

Tell me what you like about the forum and what sucks about it here.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator