Crawling weather information from weather website

+2 Matthijs Koningstein · January 21, 2016
Hi all,

as I´m fairly new to programming, but decided it would be much cheaper and much much more fun to build and program my own aquarium computer, I´ve been learning each and every day, with a whole lot of fun. 

Now I´m at the point where I´d like to get weather information from a website of my choosing, and import them in my gui. 

Like I said, I´m new to programming, so I´d like some pointers on how to get the data as shown in below text

<span class="weather-map__table-cell margin-top-10">
            <span class="weather-map__label">Zonneschijn</span>
            20%
          </span>

The 20% is what I´m looking to import. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks

Matthijs

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Mustafa Fakhrualdin · January 22, 2016
You first have to import modules 
import requests
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

then You have to target the website
url = "http:/sjijdsisdjidsji.com" 
source_code = requests.get(url)
html_code = source_code.text

Now that we gottin into the website. we are ready to take information

soup = BeautifulSoup(html_code, "html.parser")
result = soupfindAll('span', {"class": 'weather-map__table-cell margin-top-10'})
print(result.contents[0]
0 john lalani · January 22, 2016
Just make sure you stay in the zone of "permission" when it comes to the legality of it. If it's data that can be browsed through with a popular browser & not used for commercial purposes it's fine. https://www.promptcloud.com/blog/is-crawling-legal/

As in for Mustafa Fakhrualdin's code, typos:

result = soup.findAll('span', {"class": 'weather-map__table-cell margin-top-10'})
print (result.contents[0])

.stripped_strings to get results from contents that contain pictures. The docs will surely help for other problems.
0 Matthijs Koningstein · January 22, 2016
The legality issue is something I haven't thought of yet. Thanks for pointing me towards potential issues. 

As for the code: 

(result.contents[0]) was what I was looking for. The rest of the code I'd gotten from one of the tutorials. Next time I'll post what I've gotten sofar, That'll help for sure.

Thanks.

Python

107,202 followers
About

This section is all about snakes! Just kidding.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator