Cobol Programming

+2 Kaila Rodriguez · July 27, 2014
Can anyone teach me the basics of Cobol Programming. I'm a 2nd college student and it's one of my majors. I'm having trouble understanding it. Can someone please help me? ^_^

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 axel vincent · October 17, 2016

+3 Mathias Frits Rørvik · August 2, 2014
Okay I found this.
0 Kaila Rodriguez · August 2, 2014
Well technically it's been 1 month since our last meeting because of no classes caused by typhoons and stuff and midterms are coming he said that we should know how to write a simple cobol program for our midterms hahaha.
+1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · August 1, 2014
Then I suggest asking your professor. 
0 Kaila Rodriguez · August 1, 2014
No we don't have one. Here in the Philippines banks still use Cobol as their main program. That's why we still have to learn it.
+2 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 29, 2014
The thing with COBOL is it's old and "nobody" (not entirely true) uses it. It is not a very popular language anymore, you might find something if you look hard enough online, but you really need a book if you want to learn it. Don't you have any COBOL books in your syllabus? 
0 Kaila Rodriguez · July 29, 2014
Well yeah technically it's hard to find resources online I'm not going to post something here if I found a useful one online wouldn't I? I'm just searching for tutorial. This site has taught me a lot about Java and it's one of my majors so don't tell me no one can teach me how to do Cobol okay?
0 Kaila Rodriguez · July 27, 2014
Of course I tried searching in google, but can't understand it it's for advanced programmers. I'm just a beginner I just want to know the basics of Cobol. There's no programming tutorial videos in buckysroom but I learning Java. 
+4 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 27, 2014

I think you're going to have a hard time finding resources online. As far as I know, very few people use COBOL nowadays, although there are some systems that rely on it (which is also why there is still demand for COBOL programmers)

I would be surprised if there is anyone here which uses or have used COBOL. 

I think your best shot is to get a good book on it. Sadly I don't think we will be able to help you out much further than that. I could be wrong though. Good luck.

Other Programming Languages

I think it is pretty obvious what this section is for.

Bucky Roberts Administrator